Search This Blog

20 November 2011

Apple bars or Apple pie my way/Prajitura cu mere

Apple bars or Apple pie my way
An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
I bought a box of apples, in hope that I will never have to see a doctor hahaha, and I noticed that a few of them that were left in the bottom started to get some wrinkles. I knew nobody will eat them but didn’t want to waste them, so I had to do some kind of cosmetic surgery on them. I had to many apple for a compote (sliced apple boiled in water with a cinnamon stick and a little sugar –yummy), then I remembered the apple bars that made my house smell soooo  gooood .
Alright, alright enough talking let me write the recipe .
For the crust you’ll need
1.    2 ½ cups flour
2.    2 sticks butter room temperature
3.    1 egg
4.    1 tbsp.  vanilla sugar
5.    5 tsp. baking powder
6.    1 tbsp. (apple cider) vinegar
7.    3 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
And for filling
1.    About 2 lb. apples
2.    6 tbsp. brown sugar if using tart apples, less sugar if apples are sweet.
3.    2-3 tbsp. ground cinnamon
4.    1 tbsp. bread crumbs or flour
5.    Vanilla extract optional

Start with the filling: wash the apples very well, peel them if you wish,(I didn’t peel mine) , core and grate them . They will turn brown due to oxidation process ,I guess you can place them in a bowl of water and lemon juice, to prevent color change , but color does not bother me in this case , so I skipped this step.
Place grated apples (I probably had more than 2 lb. this time), sugar, cinnamon (and vanilla) in a pot and cooked on medium heat, stirring so it will not get burned on the bottom. Add bread crumbs /flour and mix as well. When mixture thickens remove and let cool, away from children and/or other people in your house ,if you want to have any filling left for your bars.
In a bowl beat butter, sugar, and vanilla sugar, adds egg and mix to incorporate well. Add half the flour, mix, then add baking powder , vinegar and the rest of the flour, mix well .If dough is to soft , refrigerate for a few min. I refrigerated mine a little too long and when I started to roll it ,it cracked. So the top crust I knead it a little until dough became more pliable. Flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll half of the dough and place it in your ungreased pan (or 2 pie dishes). Prick dough allover with a fork. Place cool apples and spread evenly. Roll the other half of the dough and place it on top. Prick with a fork or cut a few small slits in top.
Bake for about 30-40 min or until slightly golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar (vanilla flavored is even better) let it cool before serving.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment